Pharmacy Technicians and Assistants
SHPA is committed to advocating for the growth of technician and pharmacy assistant roles, as part of efforts to advance Australia’s pharmacy workforce. In 2017, technicians were welcomed as voting members of SHPA and they remain crucial partners in pharmacy care.
- Australian Pharmacy Technicians Day
- Your professional community
- A strong voice for your profession, recognition and support
- The SHPA Technicians and Assistants Specialty Practice stream
- Career development resources
Australian Pharmacy Technician Day 2023
Pharmacy Technicians and Assistants are integral to Australia’s hospital pharmacy and broader health care workforce. While roles and responsibilities of technicians and assistants vary from hospital-to-hospital and state-to-state, the focus is the same: delivering precise technical services as an essential part of hospital pharmacy departments focused on patient care.
Show your support in your workplace and online: download SHPA's #RxTechDay poster and social media pack (Zip folder size: 7.1MB)
This year's theme is 'choice, recognition and leadership'.
A new era for the advancement of pharmacy technicians and assistants.
Click image above to download!
(.zip file, 8.1MB)
SHPA helps you stay connected and informed and gives you opportunities to share and pool your knowledge and views amongst a diverse and experienced professional community through a variety of channels.
- SHPA Technicians and Assistants Specialty Practice discussion forum
- SHPA Pharmacy Technician Facebook Discussion Group
- Find out how SHPA can help you step up and transform your career with our SHPA Technician Brochure
- Networking opportunities – both locally and nationally
- Access to SHPA's Jobs Board
- Regular advocacy, events and news updates via SHPA's eNews, Facebook page and Twitter feed
Drawing on your ideas and expertise, SHPA advocates for the expansion of Pharmacy Technician and Assistant roles and greater support for your services.
- Released in November 2019, the Standard of Practice for Pharmacy Technicians to support Clinical Pharmacy Services outlines how, with appropriate education, training and competency assessment, pharmacy technicians can undertake a range of ward-based administrative, supply, technical and cognitive activities. The Standard will be incorporated into the revision of the Standards of Practice for Clinical Pharmacy Services.
- SHPA's Tech Role Redesign project is working to entrench and grow technicians and assistants roles to enhance patient outcomes and career development opportunities.
Additionally, SHPA recognises the contribution technicians and assistants make to their profession through SHPA Awards, and provides professional and personal support throughout your career with Wellness at Work Webinar Series, leadership and management workshops and seminars, and a strong alliance with Pharmacist's Support Service.
In June 2020 SHPA opened self-enrolment into the Technicians and Assistants Specialty Practice stream. Join technicians, assistants and hospital pharmacists from across the country in shared learning and advocacy for the profession, driving SHPA’s efforts to support pharmacy technician participation and impact across a range of ward-based administrative, supply, technical and cognitive activities.
To join this stream, ensure you are logged into the Online CPD website via the log-in status at the top right of the screen in order to view the self-enrol option. (If you have any difficulty logging in, contact us at email@example.com).
Develop and refresh your knowledge with our wide range of online, Branch and national CPD opportunities.
- Aseptic Cytotoxic Preparation Courses
- Technician specific Branch CPD events
- Annual Medicines Management Technician stream
- Pharmacy Technician Training and Courses
- Australian Pharmacy Technician workbook
- Specialty Practice streams relevant to your practice
- SHPA Standards of Practice for Clinical Pharmacy Services
- Opportunities to publish in SHPA's quarterly journal, Pharmacy GRIT
SHPA resources & webinars
- Webinar: Future-proofing technician qualifications
- NSW Branch Technician CE: Tech of approval – positive impact of a pharmacy technician joining the antimicrobial stewardship team
- NSW Branch Technician CE: Respiratory Diseases and Inhalers
- NSW Branch Technician CE: HIV: What pharmacy technicians need to know
- NSW Branch: Communication and collaboration in the workplace
- NSW Branch: Medication management in culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities
- Qld Branch: Technician + Expertise = Techpertise
- Qld Branch: Tech-tober: How to get technicians involved in research
- Qld Branch: Tech-tober: Teaching on the run for pharmacy technicians