Central Gippsland Health Service
Campus where pharmacy intern will work: Sale
Central Gippsland Health (CGH) is a multi-campus health facility located in regional Victoria that provides acute inpatient, community and residential aged care services. Between the Sale and Maffra campuses, there are approximately 100 beds including critical care, surgical, obstetric, paediatric, general medical and rehabilitation and 80 residential aged care beds. Sale Hospital also provides day oncology and renal dialysis services.
The pharmacy department is based at the Sale campus, from where it provides services to Sale Hospital (the primary place of intern practice), Maffra Hospital, Heyfield Hospital and Yarram & District Health Service. We have 11 staff consisting of six pharmacists, four technicians and one intern pharmacist. Providing a broad range of services from a small department requires a flexible structure and strong commitment to working as a team, both within the department and in the multidisciplinary environment.
Sale is close to the Gippsland Lakes, alpine regions and 20 minutes to the beach. The hospital is close to schools, sporting facilities, the town centre and has a thriving Social Club … not to mention free parking!
Intern program information
One intern position is available in 2024 (government-funded)
At CGH, we encourage our intern to drive their own learning with the assistance of their preceptor and all members of the department. Our intern has the sensational opportunity to learn from a close-knit team of pharmacists and technicians with a broad range of experience. You will gain exposure to:
- Clinical pharmacy rotations including general medical, general surgical, rehabilitation, maternity and paediatrics, critical care and day oncology
- Dispensary rotation including inpatient, outpatient and discharge prescriptions
- Manufacturing of extemporaneous preparations
- Experience in stock control with responsibility for the After-Hours Pharmacy cupboard including daily checks, supply of stock, expiry checks and stock rotation
- Community pharmacy placement
- Weekly 1:1 tutorial with a pharmacist
Michelle Garner, Director of Pharmacy
Phone: 03 5143 8611
Intern positions in 2024
- 1 DHHS funded