Campuses where pharmacy intern will work: Interns will be based at Angliss Hospital, Box Hill Hospital or Maroondah Hospital as their home site, with rotations across five of the Eastern Health campuses.
Eastern Health is the second largest of Victoria’s 18 Public Health Services and the main provider of health services to people in the east, outer east and Yarra Ranges areas of metropolitan Melbourne. The organisation has five main campuses from which pharmacy services are provided onsite (Angliss Hospital, Box Hill Hospital, Maroondah Hospital, Peter James Centre and Wantirna Health) as well as Healesville Hospital and Yarra Valley Health, Yarra Ranges Health Day Hospital, and Hospital-In-The-Home (HITH).
Eastern Health provides services to a range of acute specialties including cardiology, oncology, haematology, intensive care, emergency medicine, neurology, obstetrics, nephrology, general medicine, paediatrics and a range of specialist medicine and surgery. In addition, services are provided to sub-acute, mental health and community health services from over 50 sites.
Eastern Health Pharmacy provides the Partnered Pharmacist Medication Charting (PPMC) and the Pharmacist-led Partnered Prescribing on Discharge models of care, expanding the pharmacists’ scope of practice, reducing patient’s length of hospital stay and risk of medication error. Pharmacy interns will be supported by Senior Pharmacists across a range of specialties, including a Senior General Medicine Pharmacist, a Senior Surgical and Perioperative Medicines Pharmacist and Senior Specialty Medicine Pharmacists. Eastern Health is proud to be involved in the SHPA Foundation Residency and Advanced Training Residency Program.
Intern program information
Six intern positions are available in 2023
The Eastern Health intern training program is a combined network intern program which includes:
- Joint weekly tutorials covering a range of topics (including OTC). To encourage participation, interns will be asked to prepare content to facilitate these sessions and participate in interactive case studies
- Practical hands-on training including rotations in the outpatient and inpatient dispensary, aseptic manufacturing training, general introduction to clinical trials, procurement and imprest maintenance
- Clinical rotations across Eastern Health covering: Infectious diseases/antimicrobial stewardship, Nephrology, General medicine, Surgery, Cardiology, Neurosciences, Psychiatry, Rehabilitation, Palliative care, Quality use of medicine
- Elective rotations include intensive care, gastroenterology, cancer services and acute pain service/perioperative medicines
- Oral and APC written exam preparation
2023 pharmacy interns will be based at Box Hill (2), Maroondah (2) or Angliss (2) hospitals. In addition, each site has a local rotation program relevant to the services at each site. Eastern Health will continue to offer the Monash Intern Foundation Program.
How to apply and eligibility
The Eastern Health internship positions are coordinated centrally by SHPA’s matching process each year.
All applications to Eastern Health must be submitted via this process and students will be required to supply a cover letter, CV and copy of their unofficial or official academic transcript. For more information on the eligibility and the application process, please visit the Victorian Hospital Pharmacy Intern Program webpage.
Jenny Chen, Senior Education and Training Pharmacist (Eastern Health)
T: (03) 9982 2432 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Stella Koo - T: (03) 9764 6225 E: Stella.Koo@easternhealth.org.au
- Box Hill Hospital
Abhitha Sundaram - T: (03) 9975 6196 E: Abhitha.Sundaram@easternhealth.org.au
- Maroondah Hospital
Rachael Leng - T: (03) 9871 3601 E: Rachael.Leng@easternhealth.org.au
Intern positions in 2023
- 6 total (5 DHHS funded, 1 hospital funded)