Campuses at which pharmacy interns will work: Mercy Hospital for Women (MHW) in Heidelberg and Werribee Mercy Hospital (WMH)
Mercy Hospital for Women Heidelberg is a fully accredited Level 6 Public Specialist Teaching Hospital providing both public and private patient care through maternity services, neonatology and paediatrics, perioperative services, gynaecology, oncology, women’s health and associated health, support and diagnostic services. We are a major teaching hospital and specialist referral centre with the medical, nursing, midwifery and allied health expertise to treat the most complex obstetric, neonatal and gynaecological cases with close to 200 inpatient beds.
Werribee Mercy Hospital is a General Public Hospital located in the rapidly growing western suburbs of Melbourne. Our services include surgical, medical, maternity, newborn, paediatric, renal dialysis, emergency, mental health, medical day stay with oncology service , hospital in the home as well as sub acute which includes aged care rehabilitation and palliative care. The hospital has recently undergone significant expansion with the opening of an adult intensive care unit, additional operating theatres and endoscopy hub, taking the total number of beds to approximately 400. The Emergency Department is in the process of doubling its capacity to meet the needs of the growing population in Melbourne's western suburbs.
Mercy Health is a Catholic organisation employing over 8500 people who provide compassionate and holistic care through acute hospitals, aged care facilities, mental health programs, palliative and respite services, maternity and women’s health services, early parenting services and home care services.
For more information, please visit: www.mercyhealth.com.au
Intern program information
Two intern positions are available in 2023 (DHHS funded)
Approximate time spent in different areas:
- Clinical Rotation: ~ 80%
- Ward Rotation ~ 70% - The intern pharmacist will undertake ward rotations with an experienced clinical pharmacist to learn and develop the skills of clinical pharmacy. Dispensary ~ 10% (Outpatients and Inpatients)
Other areas of Pharmacy Practice: ~20%
- Opportunity to observe and be involved in Antimicrobial Stewardship service and Medication Safety service provided by the pharmacy department.
- Community Pharmacy Exchange at a pharmacy of your choice (one week).
- Exchange to Austin Hospital.
- Twice-weekly tutorials given by interns or staff via the Mercy and Austin Pharmacy Departments:
- Clinical topics (such as cardiology, oncology, diabetes, antibiotic therapy, renal and liver disease, respiratory devices, mental health). Over the counter (OTC) topics (such as cough and cold, eye care, gastroenteritis, analgesics, baby products, dermatology, smoking cessation, oral hygiene). Pharmacy law.
- Exam preparation includes: Practice pharmacy law & calculation exams under exam conditions. Prescription problem solving practice. Practice oral exams within the intern group and one-on-one.
Mr James Dwyer
Director of Pharmacy
Tel. 03 8458 4667
Ms Juan-Li Cai
MHW Senior Pharmacist
Tel. 03 8458 4666
Ms Sameera Sathiqu
WMH Senior Pharmacist
Tel: 03 8754 3541
Intern positions in 2024
- 2 total (DHHS funded)