Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
As Australia’s foremost Cancer Centre, Peter Mac provides quality treatment and support to patients and their families. Underpinned by research and the best evidence available, Peter Mac broadly influences cancer care in the community through multi-disciplinary partnerships, research and education.
The pharmacy provides a comprehensive service to Peter Mac patients and supports other members of the healthcare team in all aspects of medicine management.Inpatient care is provided through threewards specialising in haematology, lung, head and neck, sarcoma, gastrointestinal, gynaecology and a range of other tumour streams.Outpatient care is provided though the chemotherapy day unit, apheresis, medical day unit, specialist clinics and clinical trials. Pharmacists also work within specialist teams such as pain, palliative care, infectious diseases, clinical trials andQuality Use of Medicine (QUM).
Intern rotations provide a unique opportunity for development of knowledge in this fascinating area covering clinical and dispensing roles as well as the practical skills of sterile manufacturing.
In addition to consolidating these essential pharmacy skills, interns will have theopportunity to be involved in Medicines Information(MI), Clinical Trials, QUMprojects, aseptic manufacturing, multidisciplinary team meetings and various educational programs. The pharmacy department team consists of 55 pharmacists, 26 technicians and 3 support staff. During the year, the interns will receive attention and input from all the staff, providing a broad support system.
Intern program information
- Peter Mac will be offering 3 intern positions in 2023. Two of these positions are DHHS government-funded and one position is hospital-funded.
Why choose Peter Mac for your intern year?
- Working with a dedicated and enthusiastic pharmacy team that includes leaders in the field of clinical pharmacyand oncology practice
- Clinically focused program with rotations to all wards, the dispensary, MI, sterile unit and chemotherapy day unit
- Weekly tutorials covering a wide range of general clinical pharmacy topics and OTC treatments
- Weekly continuing education sessions with opportunities for interns to present to the group
- Not required to work weekends and after hours, which allows a good work / study balance
- As one of only two or three interns, you get undivided attention from senior pharmacy staff
- Participate in a research project with opportunities for publication and conference attendance
- Salary packaging and accrued days off (ADOs)
Peter Mac moved to Parkville in 2016, providing interns the opportunity to work in a new world-class comprehensive cancer centre. With the implementation of a cutting-edge electronic medical records (EMR) system in 2020, it allows us tocollaborate more closely with VCCC precinct partners and transformdelivery of patient careand research. Oncology is a specialty which is rapidly growing, and pharmacists’ input has a significant impact on patient care. The broad exposure to pharmacy practice in a multidisciplinary team setting means an internship at Peter Mac will provide you with a valuable start to a career in any field of pharmacy.
03) 8559 8172
Intern positions in 2023
- 3 total (2 DHHS funded) (1 Hospital funded)