SHPA’s Foundation Residency Program is Australia’s first and only structured, formalised, supported and accredited national pharmacy residency program.
The importance of foundation training infrastructures is emphasised in Goal 2 of the International Pharmaceutical Federation’s (FIP) ‘Pharmaceutical Workforce Development Goals’.
To find out more about becoming an SHPA accredited Residency site, view the accreditation information
What does the program offer Residents?
This two-year professional development program provides:
- practice-based experiential training targeted at early career pharmacists, or pharmacists entering hospital pharmacy practice via other pharmacy environments
- pharmacist practitioner development towards competence and performance aligned with Stage 1 (Transition Level) of the Australian Advanced Pharmacy Practice Framework
- an important springboard to other professional development pathways, such as Advanced Training Residencies.
How do I become a Foundation Resident?
Your first step is to obtain a position in an accredited workplace. SHPA does not allocate or appoint Residents. Some sites advertise Residency positions specifically, while others appoint Residents from a pool of existing staff members.
You must be an SHPA member throughout the duration of your Foundation Residency.
If you are a Foundation Resident, click here to register with SHPA.
Registration provides you access to a suite of resources and tools through SHPA’s Residency Program Hub (see 'Resources and tools')
- View the accredited Foundation Residency sites →
- Browse the SHPA Jobs Board for relevant positions →
Compulsory education components
There are two compulsory education components Residents must complete while participating in the program:
- In their first year, Residents are required to attend the SHPA Extension Seminar (or Masterclass if deemed appropriate by the Residency Program Leader) in Clinical Medication Management, and
- an SHPA seminar relevant to their CPD plan in their second year.
Book a place at one of our seminars or find out more at SHPA Events.